For all your Cuteness needs, this page is a short (30 day) Critter Pic of the Day collection.
First, some Critter Pic of the Day History:
Just shy of 20 years ago, I adopted a fuzzy little Siamese kitten. The internet was new. The community Heather and I had first crossed paths in was slowly fading away. A number of users made their own little forums in the wild west of the digital age, and I was no exception.
Everyone had their own angle, but no one had what I had: a fuzzy kitten and a digital camera. I shamelessly used both to keep people coming to my board, as my online circle of friends was largely female and totally enamored with the fuzzy kitten. Heather, who also had a digital camera, gleefully documented her cats to share with me and the world, as well.
The original Citadel is long gone, but its spirit lives on here. In 2019, we adopted a new fuzzy kitten. We have digital cameras, and we have a website. We revived the Kitten Pic of the Day, vowing to post once a day for a year. After the year was up, Heather wanted to keep going, so she morphed it to the Critter Pic of the Day and included our other pets.
Now… dive in!
The CPotD archive is going to grow a lot as the days turn to weeks, the weeks turn to months, the months turn to years, and the years turn to decades, so I’ve added jump menus to help you skip from year to year and month to month. In time, this will be a haven of kittens, cats, puppies, dogs, fish, and god knows what else for you to shelter in as you take a brief refuge from the outside world.
We’ve already got over
100 250 500 posts archived for you to binge on!
— The Ork and The Cat
Last 30 Pic of the Day Posts:
- CPotD #271: Tap Tag 2 (10/24/2020) - I considered changing the title of this post to Whap, because that's what occurred. Nutterbutter hits so hard his taps sound like whaps.
- CPotD #270: Tap Tag (10/23/2020) - We put the small cat carrier on the couch to get the feline trio used to its presence. As you can see, the experiment was a success.
- CPotD #269: Lake Dog (10/22/2020) - We drove out to the lake last weekend to clear our heads and enjoy the weather. Udo cruised right into the water to wade around, as one does.
- CPotD #268: Sleeping Weather (10/21/2020) - It's overcast and chilly these days, which means prime sleeping weather. Nutterbutter is making the most of it in his heated blanket fort.
- CPotD #267: Truck Face (10/20/2020) - We talked about big life changes the other night, and Udo decided we must be talking about going for a ride. This is his hopeful Truck Face.
- CPotD #266: Asleep on the Job (10/19/2020) - Oscar guards Nutterbutter often, especially after Nutter has had a haircut. I find it endearing, but he fell asleep on the job last night.
- CPotD #265: Sun Kitten (10/18/2020) - Brian took a fantastic shot of Oscar hanging out in his favorite afternoon sun spot yesterday. He and Stanley have claimed my ivy plant.
- CPotD #264: Big Guardian (10/17/2020) - I've been working at the dining room table this week because the light is nice there. Udo thinks this is a load of malarkey.
- CPotD #263: Little Guardian (10/16/2020) - Nutterbutter had his annual buzz cut this week, which means he'll be cold for a little while. Oscar is guarding him in his blanket fort.
- CPotD #262: Our Towel (10/15/2020) - I made the mistake of leaving a towel in Brian's chair for a minute. Stanley and Oscar took up residence before I could blink twice.
- CPotD #261: The Elder Judge (10/14/2020) - Stanley doesn't hop up on the Partition of Judging as often as Oscar does these days, but he made an exception for me today. So benevolent.
- CPotD #260: Mom Parkour (10/13/2020) - As I mentioned the other day, Oscar likes to do parkour to get into my arms as quickly as possible. I finally got a shot of him doing so.
- CPotD #259: Spiderbro (10/12/2020) - Yesterday was yardwork day! Brian had to pause while mowing the lawn to take some pictures of this little guy, who is a welcome denizen.
- CPotD #258: Pick Me Up (10/11/2020) - Oscar loves it when I pick him up and carry him around. He requests it often, usually at inopportune moments. This is his ready face.
- CPotD #257: Nope (10/10/2020) - Stanley claimed my chair while Udo and I were out for our walk this morning. When I asked him if I could have it back, this was his answer.
- CPotD #256: Sleeping Conqueror (10/9/2020) - Stanley often spends the morning on our bed snugging my body pillow. This morning, he did so after murdering the hammock scratching post.
- CPotD #255: Adorable Thief (10/8/2020) - Nutterbutter makes it difficult to take my chair back when he claims it like this. He knows he can keep the spot longer when he's extra cute.
- CPotD #254: Bench Cat (10/7/2020) - Stanley likes to nap on the dining table bench again since we've moved everything back toward the window. I tried to get a sleeping shot. Ha.
- CPotD #253: Lifting Judge (10/6/2020) - Oscar loves to help me do my weight training, and by help I mean judge. Here he is in the window making sure I get to full depth on squats.
- CPotD #252: Writing Assistant (10/5/2020) - I spent the weekend doing housework, baking, and developing a cool writing assignment for a very cool job possibility. Nutterbutter helped.
- CPotD #251: Morning Snugs (10/4/2020) - Nutterbutter has been enjoying morning snugs more than usual since the weather cooled off. He gets extra points when he can pin my hand.
- CPotD #250: Rewarded (10/3/2020) - Udo and I went for a walk this morning to enjoy the cool weather and blue skies. He received his standard reward for being a Very Good Boy.
- CPotD #249: Clean Beans (10/2/2020) - Oscar gifted me with a rare morning shin snug after I ran errands yesterday. Apparently, my legs are a good platform for washing toe beans.
- CPotD #248: Three-Pack (10/1/2020) - Cooler nights bring more snugs for Oscar and Stanley, but it's a rare day when they decide to hang out with Nutterbutter. Pics are required!
- CPotD #247: Closeup (9/30/2020) - Nutterbutter has hit full snug mode early this year. The latest cold front might have something to do with this timing, but I'm good with it.
- CPotD #246: Fuzzy Critics (9/29/2020) - The cats like to have their dinner in the middle of the afternoon. If I don't provide soon, they insert themselves into whatever I'm doing.
- CPotD #245: So Clean (9/28/2020) - Udo had his bath this week and met it with the usual enthusiasm: none. He loves being clean and damp, but he hates being washed. It's tough.
- CPotD #244: Snugglebuddy (9/27/2020) - We've been working hard this week on our Fall cleaning routine, so we've needed the occasional nap. Oscar is quite happy to help with naps.
- CPotD #243: The Bower (9/26/2020) - Stanley likes to wrap himself up in the curtain while he's enjoying his afternoon sun time. He looks like a medieval feline lying in a bower.
- CPotD #242: Grumpelstiltskin (9/25/2020) - Nutterbutter has two favorite spots right now: my chair (freshly stolen, of course) and the top of the recliner. Relocation makes him grumpy.
To see even more cute, use the links below to see full archives for each year.