For all your Cuteness needs, this page is a short (30 day) Critter Pic of the Day collection.
First, some Critter Pic of the Day History:
Just shy of 20 years ago, I adopted a fuzzy little Siamese kitten. The internet was new. The community Heather and I had first crossed paths in was slowly fading away. A number of users made their own little forums in the wild west of the digital age, and I was no exception.
Everyone had their own angle, but no one had what I had: a fuzzy kitten and a digital camera. I shamelessly used both to keep people coming to my board, as my online circle of friends was largely female and totally enamored with the fuzzy kitten. Heather, who also had a digital camera, gleefully documented her cats to share with me and the world, as well.
The original Citadel is long gone, but its spirit lives on here. In 2019, we adopted a new fuzzy kitten. We have digital cameras, and we have a website. We revived the Kitten Pic of the Day, vowing to post once a day for a year. After the year was up, Heather wanted to keep going, so she morphed it to the Critter Pic of the Day and included our other pets.
Now… dive in!
The CPotD archive is going to grow a lot as the days turn to weeks, the weeks turn to months, the months turn to years, and the years turn to decades, so I’ve added jump menus to help you skip from year to year and month to month. In time, this will be a haven of kittens, cats, puppies, dogs, fish, and god knows what else for you to shelter in as you take a brief refuge from the outside world.
We’ve already got over
100 250 500 posts archived for you to binge on!
— The Ork and The Cat
Last 30 Pic of the Day Posts:
- CPotD #193: Pushy (8/7/2020) - Nutterbutter doesn’t always want to snuggle, but when he does, he doesn’t care if you do too. He’s coming over and you will hold him one way or another. He’s even gotten cuter with age, so he’s a hard floof to resist.
- CPotD #192: So Boopable (8/6/2020) - Udo has the most boopable snoot I’ve ever seen on a dog and now I have photographic proof. Brian took this wondrous shot on bath day. Look at that face! He’s the sweetest, fuzziest, boopiest dog ever.
- CPotD #191: Zonked (8/5/2020) - Oscar tends to sleep pretty hard, especially when he’s snugging. For some reason this often entails a modified faceplant, as shown below. I’ve seen cats sleep on their faces with their foreheads flat against the surface (Nutterbutter does that), but I’ve never seen one sleep on his nose until Oscar. He is… unique.
- CPotD #190: Looming Grooming (8/4/2020) - Udo is not a fan of the biweekly bath experience, but he loves being clean and getting brushed. He also loves going to Brian for comfort while mean old mom brushes his fluffy rear. He couldn’t be any sweeter if he tried.
- CPotD #189: Diet Helper (8/3/2020) - Oscar has resumed post-dinner snugs lately, which really helps me with my diet. Having him park cutely on my footrest prevents me from getting up to procure unnecessary snacks. He’s a good cat when he’s not hassling his older brothers or hip-checking the dog. I sure enjoy the snugs.
- CPotD #188: Quiet (8/2/2020) - Oscar is unimpressed with the vacuum cleaner (aka the Hate Machine) and doesn’t mind telling me so with a classic stink eye. I turned around to this face after putting it back in the closet. He’s not afraid of it, but he sure doesn’t appreciate the noise. Then again, neither do I. Maybe we need […]
- CPotD #187: Table Fort (8/1/2020) - I haven’t put away the gear we took out for our comet-viewing expedition last week. That’s okay, because Stanley has taken the opportunity to turn it into his latest table fort. He looks pretty happy with it. Temporary gear wall plus padded envelopes equals satisfied house panther.
- CPotD #186: Just Fluffy Things (7/31/2020) - I had an interview yesterday and was gone for a couple of hours. I returned to a frantic dog and a trio of indifferent cats. Nutterbutter was unimpressed, as usual. He couldn’t be bothered to get up and say hi, but he was looking extra cute. I provided pets before snapping a picture of his […]
- CPotD #185: Soft and Judgey (7/30/2020) - Oscar likes to judge us from the counter when we aren’t providing pets in a timely manner. He gets extra judgey when I take pictures instead of providing said pets. He did get pets immediately after the picture because I’m not a monster. You can see how lush his fur has become as he’s matured. […]
- CPotD #184: Bonus Snugs (7/29/2020) - Strong Independent Kitten graced me with a rare post-dinner snug last night and it made my heart happy. It also made me stay up too late because how could I make him move? In this house, when a cute cat wants to snug, you snug.
- CPotD #183: Head Gut (7/28/2020) - Nutterbutter likes to snug every morning while we have our coffee. He often performs a maneuver we call a “headgut” (rather than headbutt) and it never fails to melt my heart. Not shown is his front leg hugging my hip. Nutter is contrary and grumpy in his old age, but he’s still pretty dang affectionate.
- CPotD #182: Brick House (7/27/2020) - On this episode of Stanley is Weird, we can see his latest spot to relax. He was giving me the stink eye for not providing dinner at his earliest convenience. None of the cats has ever been inclined to lay on the bricks before, so this is definitely a new one. It has been hot […]
- CPotD #181: Beautiful Void (7/26/2020) - Black cats can be difficult to photograph, especially when they’re glossy oil spills like Stanley. Brian got this fantastic shot of him inquiring about the availability of cheese at breakfast. He’s so sleek and inky, like the void personified. I think this is the best picture of him we’ve gotten and I love it.
- CPotD #180: Guardian of the Spring (7/25/2020) - Stanley has had a spring toy since he was a kitten. He doesn’t play with it as often anymore, but he still has one and he’s rather protective of it. If you’re wondering why, it’s because this is his third spring. Udo chewed up the other two in wild fits of derpery and we had […]
- CPotD #179: No Trust (7/24/2020) - Udo gets a pair of little rawhide treats every morning when I sit down to work. When I decided to document it this morning, he thought I was going to take them back. This face says it all. He loves me, but when it comes to treats, he trusts no one.
- CPotD #178: Trapped (7/23/2020) - Sometimes Oscar likes to flex his influence by proving how completely smitten I am. He doesn’t snuggle on the footrest very often, so he knows I won’t move when he does. I was trapped like this for two hours. Look at that angelic face. How could I possibly make him get up before he’s ready?
- CPotD #177: How Dare You (7/22/2020) - Brian went in to get a closeup action shot of Oscar rolling cutely in a pile of Udo’s brushed hair. Oscar noticed. I love the cocked ear and indignant squint. This is the same face he gives the zebra mouse toy before he murders it. How dare we, indeed.
- CPotD #176: Tuckered (7/21/2020) - We often use parchment paper in our baking projects. Stanley and Oscar approve of this because they’re big fans of paper. Well, destroying paper. Oscar will wear himself completely out in the process. This particular scrap ended up in many pieces, but it was a multi-nap endeavor.
- CPotD #175: Artful Stanley (7/20/2020) - Stanley loves to help us cook. Aside from the interesting processes to observe, there might be cheese. We all know how he feels about cheese. Brian got a nice black and white shot of him watching me make dinner and keeping an eye on the fridge. He’s an affectionate house panther, but he’s serious in […]
- CPotD #174: Silly Putty (7/19/2020) - Oscar is unusually limber, even for a cat. He’s contorted into so many weird shapes it’s hard to remember them all, let alone photograph them. We’re pretty happy with this shot, though. He had been rampaging with his milk top in a little pile of dog hair after I had brushed Udo. If Oscar were […]
- CPotD #173: Serious Face (7/18/2020) - Oscar takes bathing very seriously. He does not appreciate being interrupted and will mean-mug you for it. I think his mean mug is just as cute as his lovey face, but I’m thoroughly biased.
- CPotD #172: Regal Floof (7/17/2020) - Nutterbutter has been feeling extra feisty lately. He saunters about the house and demands food whenever he feels like it. Brian got a nice shot of him in his regal demand mode. I can hear him in my head. “Excuse you, peasant. I require filtered water and canned food. Hop to it.” I hop to […]
- CPotD #170: Tank Boys II (7/16/2020) - Yesterday’s post featured Clark. Here’s Superman trucking along the bottom of the tank to fulfill his sacred duty: fighting grime. Yes, I know that was awful. No, I’m not sorry. My posts, my insufferable humor!
- CPotD #169: Tank Boys (7/15/2020) - And now for something completely different: our snails. We have two in our fish tank and they help Al the enormous plecostomus keep the algae in check. I named them Superman and Clark Kent because they’re never visible in the tank at the same time. These guys are our second round of snails. We had […]
- CPotD #168: King of the Curtains (7/14/2020) - I took down the curtains a while back to wash them and managed to put them all back except one, which Stanley claimed while I was hanging up the others. It is his new favorite thing to lay on, even above his beloved padded envelopes. You know what they say: happy house panther, happy life. […]
- CPotD #167: Urfy Monday (7/13/2020) - Brian took some portraits of our brood this weekend and got a wonderful black and white shot of the Great North American Majestic Urf-Urf. That face pops my heart. He’s spoiled absolutely rotten, but he’s such a love bug I can’t help it.
- CPotD #166: Scuffed Sunday (7/12/2020) - Sunday is generally our rest day to catch up on vegetating and other fun stuff we want to do, like baking. Brian has a couple of delicious sourdough projects going today. I’ve been helping him out and had to pause for an impromptu photo op with our older boys. These two generally avoid each other, […]
- CPotD #165: Regal Boy (7/11/2020) - Oscar has taken to sitting around with his paws crossed lately, and it’s so cute I’m undone. Look at this little guy. He’s so happy and regal. He was fuzzing at Brian for extra pets. This tactic is super effective.
- CPotD #164: Light and Shadow (7/10/2020) - Stanley was busy sitting on the love seat with his feet in my cup holder, so Oscar got to hog the sunbeam today. His white tummy was practically incandescent. That look was for blocking his light while I put my slippers on before I took the pic. So rude.
- CPotD #163: Snoozle (7/9/2020) - Nutterbutter is my stalwart work companion, spending most of every day snoozing in the love seat next to me. He took up his spot early this morning and didn’t mind me grabbing a pic. This was a preliminary snoozle. He sleeps best when he’s upside down on his face, but that usually happens on the […]
To see even more cute, use the links below to see full archives for each year.