For all your Cuteness needs, this page is a short (30 day) Critter Pic of the Day collection.
First, some Critter Pic of the Day History:
Just shy of 20 years ago, I adopted a fuzzy little Siamese kitten. The internet was new. The community Heather and I had first crossed paths in was slowly fading away. A number of users made their own little forums in the wild west of the digital age, and I was no exception.
Everyone had their own angle, but no one had what I had: a fuzzy kitten and a digital camera. I shamelessly used both to keep people coming to my board, as my online circle of friends was largely female and totally enamored with the fuzzy kitten. Heather, who also had a digital camera, gleefully documented her cats to share with me and the world, as well.
The original Citadel is long gone, but its spirit lives on here. In 2019, we adopted a new fuzzy kitten. We have digital cameras, and we have a website. We revived the Kitten Pic of the Day, vowing to post once a day for a year. After the year was up, Heather wanted to keep going, so she morphed it to the Critter Pic of the Day and included our other pets.
Now… dive in!
The CPotD archive is going to grow a lot as the days turn to weeks, the weeks turn to months, the months turn to years, and the years turn to decades, so I’ve added jump menus to help you skip from year to year and month to month. In time, this will be a haven of kittens, cats, puppies, dogs, fish, and god knows what else for you to shelter in as you take a brief refuge from the outside world.
We’ve already got over
100 250 500 posts archived for you to binge on!
— The Ork and The Cat
Last 30 Pic of the Day Posts:
- CPotD #357: Emperor’s New Snooze (1/18/2021) - We moved the cat carriers to the bay window so the cats can continue getting used to them and still enjoy sunbeams. Stanley says it's a win.
- CPotD #356: What? (1/17/2021) - Stanley woke up as I took pictures of Oscar the other day. The result is a picture of a cute tuxedo with a butthead.
- CPotD #355: Luxurious (1/16/2021) - Stanley lounges with authority and always looks luxurious while doing so. He usually shares my lap with Oscar or Nutterbutter. Grudgingly.
- CPotD #354: Sun Loaf (1/15/2021) - We left the dining room table in its Christmas configuration after putting away the tree because it gives us extra space for move prep.
- CPotD #353: Regal Bear (1/14/2021) - I flopped in the floor for some choice Oscar-in-a-sunbeam shots the other morning. Udo helped, of course, so I also captured him being regal.
- CPotD #352: Small Sentinel (1/13/2021) - Oscar takes his guard duties very seriously, especially when we go in and out of the house repeatedly. During move prep, this happens a lot.
- CPotD #351: Burrito Kitten (1/12/2021) - Oscar loves the burrito blanket that Brian got me for Christmas. He spends most evenings lately crashed out on my tortilla-clad lap.
- CPotD #350: Post-Training Snugs (1/11/2021) - The post-training snugs continued as the weekend came to a close. I was once again trapped under a pile of snuggly cats: oh, the felinity.
- CPotD #349: Brother Pillow (1/10/2021) - We started training the cats with their carriers this week so they'll be more comfortable with travel during the move. They kinda like them.
- CPotD #348: Assistant Manager (1/9/2021) - Nutterbutter barges onto my lap at every opportunity these days. He's seen moving prep before and is getting his snugs in while he can.
- CPotD #347: Gozer the Destructor (1/8/2021) - Oscar has yet another nickname thanks to his love of chewing boxes. Specifically, he loves to destroy Amazon boxes. He earned this nickname.
- CPotD #346: Triple Threat (1/7/2021) - Between work, move prep, and fighting off the crud, we accomplished a lot yesterday. The cats rewarded me by piling onto my lap. Much cuddle.
- CPotD #345: Handsome (1/6/2021) - I often tell Udo that he's the cutest dog in the universe, and I find this to be true. Look at this face and tell me you don't see it.
- CPotD #344: Double Shift (1/5/2021) - My fuzzy nurses work hard to help me feel better, sometimes even doubling up to make sure I stay put. Oscar and Stanley are serious about it.
- CPotD #343: Rest Day (1/4/2021) - Apparently, I failed to kick last week's crud, so I'm under the weather again. Luckily for me, our intrepid guard dog doubles as a nurse dog.
- CPotD #342: Day Seized (1/3/2021) - We spend a lot of time lately getting ready for our move, so we consider it good when we manage to get a lot done. Yesterday was such a day.
- CPotD #341: Jumping into the New Year Like… (1/2/2021) - We took Udo out to play in the snow in our front yard this morning. He loves the snow, so was very enthusiastic. Look at this beast.
- CPotD #340: Rerolling for 2021 (1/1/2021) - If you know me at all, you know I love to play video games. If you know me really well, you know I love to constantly create new characters.
- CPotD #339: Mail Inspection (12/31/2020) - This week, Brian received a gift from a friend in an online community we love. The box had seen better days and required feline inspection.
- CPotD #338: Grumpy Relocation (12/30/2020) - Nutterbutter loves to steal my chair. He lives in it while I'm elsewhere, but he relocates to the recliner when it's time for dinner.
- CPotD #337: Fuzzy Lima Bean (12/29/2020) - Oscar excels at weird sleep positions, and last night he added the Lima Bean pose to his repertoire. He comes up with new ways to be weird.
- CPotD #336: Holiday Burrito (12/28/2020) - Brian bought me a burrito blanket for Christmas this year, and I love it. I wanted one since I first saw them and it is everything I hoped.
- CPotD #335: Christmas Outtake (12/27/2020) - While generally not as snuggly as Oscar, Stanley is just as affectionate. He often flops in the floor and yells at me until I rub his belly.
- CPotD #334: Gift Guardian (12/26/2020) - As much as he loves helping me wrap gifts, Stanley also loves guarding them. He kicked Oscar out from under the tree and took over.
- CPotD #333: Christmas Kitten (12/25/2020) - Oscar grew a lot this past year, both in weight and in learning how to cat. He turned out to be a weird cat, but he's sure the sweetest.
- CPotD #332: Fuzzy Wrappers (12/24/2020) - I always have lots of feline help when I wrap gifts. Stanley prioritizes boxes and wrapping paper over any toy in existence, so he's all in.
- CPotD #331: Dignity (12/23/2020) - Stanley displays a lot of dignity. Usually. He's a regal panther and he knows he commands his domain, so he lets it all hang out.
- CPotD #330: Winter Dinner Snugs (12/22/2020) - We've been working our butts off getting the house ready to sell, so we don't sit as much as we used to. The cats object to this.
- CPotD #329: We’re Closed (12/21/2020) - Nutterbutter is over our BS. Today he stole my chair, turned his back on everyone, and went to sleep. This is his We're Closed sign.
- CPotD #328: Lord Stanley (12/20/2020) - Stanley was also a bit under the weather after his vaccinations, but he bounced back quickly. This morning he supervised while I brushed Udo.
To see even more cute, use the links below to see full archives for each year.